Before you decide to move consider design and accessibility features that will meet your needs. Perhaps a single-level home, accessible condominium or apartment, or a retirement community that provides support services such as transportation and housekeeping.

Before you decide to move you should know:

  • Your home’s value.
  • How much equity you have.
  • The advantages of buying or renting, and related tax and legal issues.
  • Whether this will be a short- or long-term move.

Independent Living

  • Living with others often involves moving in with an adult child. Sometimes part of the first floor can be made into a suite or a private apartment can be added.
  • Sharing a home with non-family members is growing in popularity. Several programs around the country match homeowners with tenants. The programs look for different generations, draw up rental agreements and settle possible disputes.
  • 55+ active-adult communities offer resort-style amenities but no support services. Some require that you buy a home or condo. Others offer rental housing.
  • A village is a community that links neighbors together to help one another stay in their homes as they age. Members pay an annual membership fee to bring support and services into their home. Volunteers often provide the services.
  • Retirement communities and senior apartments are for people who can live on their own. However, they want services such as maintenance, housekeeping and group dining.
  • Government-supported housing is for mature people and people with disabilities with limited incomes and assets. Some facilities also provide meals, transportation and social programs. Waiting lists are common. Contact your local housing office for more information.

You can choose from many facility-based living options in Oregon. The following settings have different levels of support, services and amenities:

Adult Foster Homes

Adult foster/care homes are licensed single-family settings with care for up to five people. Adult foster home settings serve a range of needs in a home setting.

Assisted Living and Residential Care Facilities

Assisted living and residential care facilities are licensed settings providing housing and care services to six or more people. A registered nurse is on staff or under contract. The nurse does not have to be
there all the time. Caregivers do not need to be certified, but they are trained in providing care services.

Skilled Nursing Facilities

Nursing facilities give licensed 24-hour supervised nursing care. Licensed nursing facilities’ caregivers must be certified as nursing assistants; the State Board of Nursing must approve their training. Nurses and certified nurse aides provide personal, therapeutic and nutritional care.

Memory Care Communities

Memory care communities are environments where staff care for people with dementia who have needs that require a more secure setting. Each setting is licensed by the state as a residential care, assisted living or nursing facility. The state also requires memory care facilities to train staff to care for residents with dementia and provide specialized services.

Source: Aging and Disability Resource Connection of Oregon

See a complete list of long term care facilities in your Local Senior Resources Directory. For adult foster homes, contact your local ADRC and ask for their copy of the current Adult Foster Home listings with vacancies.

Call your Local ADRC

  • Central Oregon – 1-855-673-2372
  • Bend – 541-388-6240
  • La Pine – 541-536-8919
  • Madras – 541-475-6773
  • Prineville – 541-447-4511
  • Redmond – 541-548-2206
  • Coos/Curry County – 1-800-306-9927
  • Douglas County – 541-440-3677
  • Jackson County – 541-618-7572
  • Josephine County – 541-618-7572