Elder abuse takes different forms. It can include:

  • Physical abuse
  • Neglect
  • Sexual, financial, verbal or emotional abuse
  • Involuntary seclusion or wrongful restraint
  • Abandonment by a caregiver

Abuse can occur in a long-term care facility, a home or anywhere in the community.

If you suspect elder abuse, immediately contact one of the local DHS or Area Agency on Aging offices listed below.

Central Oregon - 1-855-673-2372
Coos/Curry County - 1-800-306-9927
Douglas County - 541-440-3677
Jackson County - 541-618-7572
Josephine County - 541-618-7572

Adult Protective Services

Specialized DHS staff investigate abuse and provide protection as needed. Protective services staff coordinate with law enforcement to investigate potential criminal abuse cases.

Protective services may include:

  • Immediately arranging to protect an adult
  • Assessing how well an adult can protect his or her own interest and give consent
  • Assessing how well the adult can understand protective services and whether he or she will accept them
  • Coordinating evaluations to determine or verify the adult’s physical and mental state, if necessary
  • Helping arrange services and alternate living arrangements
  • Assisting in or arranging the medical, legal or other services to prevent further abuse
  • Providing advocacy to assure the adult’s rights are protected

You may also report abuse to the Oregon DHS at 1-855-503-SAFE (7233).
In an emergency, call 911.

Office of the Long-Term Care Ombudsman
The Office of the Long-Term Care Ombudsman can also provide help to resolve elder abuse complaints. Ombudsmen advocate for residents of Oregon nursing homes, assisted living facilities, residential care facilities and adult foster homes. They help residents deal with quality of care and life issues. They may also help prevent abuse or neglect. Call 1-800-522-2602.

Source: Aging and Disability Resource Connection of Oregon